Parmesan-Fried Courgettes and Flowers with Tomato Relish2012-12-25
For the tomato relish:
- 40 mlÂ extra virgin olive oil
- 1 mediumÂ onion, finely chopped
- Âœ mediumÂ chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 clovesÂ garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigsÂ thyme, chopped
- 2 sprigsÂ rosemary, chopped
- 2 sprigsÂ oregano, chopped
- 2 tbspÂ balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbspÂ tomato purĂ©e
- 400 gÂ canned chopped tomatoes
- Âœ small bunch flat leafÂ parsley, chopped
For the courgettes:
- sunflower oil, for frying
- 2Â courgette flowers, cut in half lengthways
- 3 largeÂ courgettes, sliced diagonally
- plain flour, for dusting
- 1 mediumÂ egg, beaten
- 100 g fineÂ breadcrumbs
- 30 gÂ freshly grated parmesan
2. Add the balsamic vinegar and reduce by half. Add the purĂ©e, cook for a minute, then add the chopped tomatoes. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. The consistency should be like chutney. If it is too runny, continue to simmer. Season and leave to cool. When cool, add the parsley.
3.Â For the courgettes:Â Pour 6cm of oil into a medium sized heavy-bottomed saucepan, or use a deep fat fryer. Heat to 160Â°C. If using a saucepan, be careful as the oil will be very hot. Dip the courgettes and flowers in the flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Fry until golden brown. Remove with tongs and place onto kitchen paper to soak up excess oil. Season.
4. Arrange the courgettes and flowers on a large serving dish. Dust with grated Parmesan and serve with the tomato relish on the side.