Parmesan-Fried Courgettes and Flowers with Tomato Relish2012-12-25
For the tomato relish:
- 40 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ medium chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs thyme, chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- 2 sprigs oregano, chopped
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- ½ small bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
For the courgettes:
- sunflower oil, for frying
- 2 courgette flowers, cut in half lengthways
- 3 large courgettes, sliced diagonally
- plain flour, for dusting
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 100 g fine breadcrumbs
- 30 g freshly grated parmesan
2. Add the balsamic vinegar and reduce by half. Add the purée, cook for a minute, then add the chopped tomatoes. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. The consistency should be like chutney. If it is too runny, continue to simmer. Season and leave to cool. When cool, add the parsley.
3. For the courgettes: Pour 6cm of oil into a medium sized heavy-bottomed saucepan, or use a deep fat fryer. Heat to 160°C. If using a saucepan, be careful as the oil will be very hot. Dip the courgettes and flowers in the flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Fry until golden brown. Remove with tongs and place onto kitchen paper to soak up excess oil. Season.
4. Arrange the courgettes and flowers on a large serving dish. Dust with grated Parmesan and serve with the tomato relish on the side.