Pasta with Roasted Chicken, Raisins, Pine Nuts, and Parsley2013-06-06
A cool trick for creating a hearty dinner with fewer dirty dishes to clean. Our method calls for roasting chicken thighs while your pasta water boils. The chicken is deboned and then tossed back into the roasting pan with the cooked pasta, sweet raisins, and pine nuts. The browned pan juices form a rich, meaty sauce.
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs or drumsticks (about 3 pounds)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 pound dried linguine or spaghetti
- 3/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Place the raisins in a small heatproof bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside to plump while you prepare and roast the chicken.
- Drizzle olive oil (about 2 tablespoons) into a roasting pan. Place the chicken in the pan, season generously with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with the rosemary and paprika. Rub the chicken all over to coat it in the seasonings, then arrange it skin-side up in a single layer. Roast until the skin is crisp and the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a knife, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the chicken to a cutting board to cool; set the pan aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, stir, and cook until al dente, about 7 to 8 minutes; drain.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones. Cut the meat and skin into bite-size pieces and return it to the roasting pan; discard the bones. Drain the raisins. Add them to the pan along with the toasted pine nuts. Place the pan over low heat, add the drained pasta, and toss until it’s coated with the pan drippings and warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and season with the lemon juice and plenty of pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately.