Perfect Brunch Pie2012-12-20
Olives, mushrooms, artichokes and two types of cheese fill this phyllo dough crust.
- 3/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic-stuffed green olives
- 1/2 cup chopped¬†plum¬†tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped¬†scallion
- 2 tablespoons chopped red¬†onion
- 1/2 cup chopped white mushrooms
- 3 cloves¬†garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp¬†cheddar¬†cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled¬†feta¬†cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh¬†basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh¬†oregano
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 4 large¬†eggs
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
- Kosher salt¬†and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 10 sheets frozen¬†phyllo¬†dough, thawed
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix the kalamata and green olives, the¬†tomatoes, scallion, onion, mushrooms, garlic and¬†artichoke¬†hearts in a large bowl. Stir in both cheeses, the basil, oregano andthyme; set aside, 20 minutes. Meanwhile, beat the eggs,¬†milk, and salt and pepper to taste in another bowl.
Brush a 10-inch glass or ceramic pie dish with some of the butter. Stack 6 sheets of phyllo¬†dough¬†(keep the rest covered with a damp towel) and cut the stack into a 12-inch round with a paring knife. Place 1 phyllo round in the prepared¬†pie¬†dish and brush with butter; continue to layer the remaining 5 phyllo rounds in the dish, brushing each piece with butter before adding the next.
Spread the olive mixture evenly in the phyllo-lined dish, then pour in the egg mixture. Cut the remaining 4 phyllo sheets into 10-inch rounds. Layer on top of the pie, brushing each piece with butter before adding the next.
Bake until the top is golden and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.