Prawns Baked in Tomatoes and Cheese2012-12-25
- 1Â garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2Â onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp saltedÂ butter
- 2 large ripeÂ tomatoes, with crosses carved into the bottom
- ice or ice coldÂ water, for blanching tomatoes
- 1 tbspÂ tomato purĂ©e, heaped
- 1 small glassÂ white wine
- 2Â bay leaves
- 12 kingÂ prawns, peeled and de-veined but tail still on
- 60 gÂ gruyere, gouda or emmenthal, grated
- Put the kettle on and preheat the oven to top whack. In a frying pan over a medium heat, sautĂ© the garlic and onion in butter for a few minutes.
- Pour boiling water over the tomatoes and leave for just a minute before lifting them out with a slotted spoon and dunking them in the iced water. Peel them then cut in half, remove the core and seeds and roughly chop the flesh.
- Stir the tomato purĂ©e in with the onions until they are well coated then add the wine and bay leaves. Toss in the prawns and cook for just a minute each side â until the outside turns pink them out.
- Continue reducing the wine until nearly all the liquid has gone and add the chopped tomato and cook for 5 minutes with a lid.
- Preheat the grill to very hot. Lay the prawns out in an ovenproof dish so they are quite snug. Once the sauce has reduced down enough to fit in a wine glass, pour it over the prawns.
- Sprinkle with cheese, then put the dish under the grill for about 5-7 minutes until golden brown.