Queen of Puddings2013-03-08
Pudding of custard, cake and jam topped with soft, chewy meringue.
You will need a 1.4L/2Â½pt oval ovenproof dish that will fit inside a roasting tin.
- For the base
- 600ml/1 pint full-fat milk
- 25g/1oz butter, plus extra for greasing the dish
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated
- 50g/2oz caster sugar
- 3 free-range eggs, yolks only
- 75g/3oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- For the meringue
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 3 free-range eggs, whites only
- For the fruit jam
- 200g/7oz fresh mixed fruits, or 500g/1lb 2oz frozen. (Alternatively you can use raspberry jam if you prefer.)
- 200g/7oz caster sugar (or to taste)
- To serve
- pouring cream
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3 and grease a 1.4 litre/2Â½ pint shallow ovenproof dish (one that will fit into a roasting tin) with butter.
- For the base, very gently warm the milk in a small saucepan. Add the butter, lemon zest and the 50g/2oz of sugar, stir until dissolved.
- Lightly whisk the egg yolks in a bowl. Slowly pour the warm milk into the eggs, while whisking.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the base of the buttered dish and pour over the custard. Leave to stand for about 15 minutes, so the breadcrumbs absorb the liquid.
- Carefully transfer the dish to a roasting tin and fill the tin halfway with hot water. Bake the custard in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes until the custard has set. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool a little.
- Meanwhile, put the mixed summer fruits into a pan and warm over a gentle heat. Once theyâ€™ve softened and released their juice, add the sugar and cook for a further three minutes.
- Heat gently until you have a jam-like consistency. If you are using frozen berries they will release more liquid so you might need to cook for longer to thicken to the right jam consistency.
- Whisk the egg whites using an electric hand whisk on full speed until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed. Add the remaining 175g/6oz sugar a teaspoon at a time, still whisking on maximum speed until the mixture is stiff and shiny. Transfer the meringue mixture to a piping bag.
- Spread 4-5 tablespoons of the fruit jam over the set custard, then pipe the meringue on top.
- Lower the oven temperature to 150C/300F/Gas 2 and return the pudding to the oven (not in the roasting tin with water) for about 25-30 minutes until the meringue is pale golden all over and crisp. Serve at once with pouring cream.