Use raspberries as the base for an aromatic syrup, and combine with seltzer for a refreshing sip. A few tablespoons of the mixture also enlivens white wine, vodka, and iced or hot tea.
- 2 pint(s) raspberries
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 3 cup(s) soda water
- 1 lemon,Â sliced 1/4 inch thick (optional)
- 1 vanilla bean,Â split, seeds scraped, pod reserved; or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Lemon wedges,Â for serving
- Combine raspberries, sliced lemon (if using), vanilla bean, and sugar in a double boiler or heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Cook, stirring, until raspberries have released most of their juices, about 12 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve, pressing gently with the back of a spoon; discard solids. Let cool. Pour 1/4 cup syrup into each of 3 ice-filled glasses. Top each with 1 cup soda water. Serve with lemon wedges.