Red Velvet Cake with a Twist2013-01-18
This red velvet cake has a slight twist while making. Recipe courtesy of Peggy ‘Mabbz’ Machio.
- 250ml / 8 fl oz Vegetable Oil
- 250g / 9 0z Caster Sugar
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Red Food Colouring (OR you can use beetroot powder or omit)
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract (OR Seeds from 1 vanilla pod (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 250g / 9 oz Plain Flour
- 25g / 1 oz cocoa
- 1 Heap Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 200g / 7 oz natural yoghurt
- 200g / 7 oz pack cream cheese
- 150 / 50 oz butter, softened
- 450g / 1lb icing sugar
- Candy canes for decoration
- Round cake tins and greaseproof paper
1) Preheat oven to mark 4 (180°C)
2) Beat together oil and sugar then gradually beat in eggs, 1 at a time (will thicken), followed by vanilla extract, food colouring then lemon juice.
3) In another bowl, stir in the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda together then beat half into oil mixture. Once fully mixed, beat in half yoghurt then repeat with remaining floor mixture and yoghurt.
4) Pour mixture into prepared cake tins, place in on middle shelf of the oven for 25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and pour out.
5) Icing – beat cream cheese and butter teal light and fluffy, then mix icing sugar and vanilla extract (optional)
The Twist: My own addition is to beat in a half a cup of cream cheese at step 2. And do not take the 20 minutes literally. I pre-heat the oven to mark 7 and leave for about 35 min and put about 1 and half cups of flour.