Roast Beef with Horseradish and Mint Pesto2013-06-24
- 1.2kg (2lb 11oz) topside of beef, tied with fat or streaky bacon* (ask your butcher)
For the pesto:
- 50g (2oz) rocket
- 2tbsp grated horseradish
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- juice 1 lemon
- large handful mint leaves
- 160g (5.5oz) Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 170 C, 150 C fan, 325 F, gas 3. Rub a little oil into the beef. Season. Heat a frying pan and brown the meat on all sides. *If you’re using streaky bacon to keep it moist, layer 6 rashers over the top.
- Loosely cover with foil, transfer to a roasting tin and cook in the top of the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes, for meat just the medium side of rare. Remove from the oven; allow to cool.
- Place the pesto ingredients, apart from the yogurt, into a food processor; whizz to a thick paste. Stir this into the yogurt, season and chill.
- Thinly slice the cooled beef and serve with the pesto, a green salad and new potatoes. The beef can be roasted the day before; the pesto will sit in the fridge for up to two days.