Rump Steak with Quick Mushroom and Red Wine Sauce2013-02-07
Make a restaurant-style sauce for your steak in 15 minutes – perfect with creamy mash
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 rump steaks (about 200g/8oz each)
- 140g mushrooms , quartered
- 2 thyme sprigs, leaves removed
- 150ml red wine
- 1 tbsp butter
- Heat the oil in a pan. Season the steaks, then fry for 2-3 mins each side for medium rare, or cook more to your liking. Remove from the pan, then set aside to rest.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme leaves to the pan, then cook for a couple of mins until softened and golden. Pour in the wine and bubble until syrupy, then turn off the heat and stir in the butter. Season.
- Serve the steaks with the mushroom sauce poured over, along with creamy mash and some crunchy spring greens.
Steak with creamy mushrooms
Cook steak as before, then set aside. Fry the mushrooms and thyme for 2 mins. Stir in 100ml double cream and 1 tsp wholegrain mustard. Bubble for 1 min, season, then spoon over the steaks.