Shahi Chicken Biryani2013-03-10
Delicacy of mughlai flavor with Indian spices. This Biryani has alternate layers of rice and chicken and should be served with the layers intact and not mixing it.
6 cups Rice (basmati)
1 kg Chicken
3 tbsps. Vegetable Oil
3 tbsps. Clarified Butter
5 nos. Onion(red, thin sliced)
3 nos. Potato(peeled and cut)
30 gms. Ginger(paste)
30 gms. Garlic(paste)
5 nos. Green Chilies(paste)
10 gms. Coriander leaves(paste)
2 tsps. All spice powder
4 tbsps. Yoghurt
4 tbsps. Tomato(Puree/paste)
3 tbsps. Red Chili Powder
2 tsps. Turmeric Powder
1 pinch Saffron
Salt to taste
3 tsps. Milk
2-3 drops color (orange recommended)
- Marinate the chicken with garlic, ginger, coriander, green chillie,tomatoes paste, red chilli powder,turmeric powder,dry garam masala powder,salt and yoghurt and keep it aside for half an hour.
- Cook rice seperately (do not cook fully. keep it semi-cooked), add salt, sprinkle it with color and keep aside.
- Heat milk, put pinch of kesar and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in pan.Deep fry half the quantity of onions and all the potatoes till onion is golden brown.
- Remove both from the pan and keep aside.
- Fry the remaining onion in the same oil till slight golden brown and put the marinated chicken. cook for 10 minutes.
- Take a separate utensil, put ghee and 1 tbsp of oil, half quantity of semi-cooked rice, all fried potatoes and half quantity of fried onions and milk of kesar.
- Put the cooked chicken on top of it and then cover it with the remaining semi-cooked rice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and rest of the fried onions.
- Tightly cover the utensil and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with salad,lemon and papad.