Slow-cooker Sloppy Joes2013-01-08
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (16-oz.) package ground pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 hamburger buns, toasted
- 1. Brown beef and sausage with onion and bell pepper in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring 10 minutes or until beef and sausage crumble and are no longer pink. Drain well.
- 2. Place beef mixture in a 4 1/2-qt. slow cooker. Stir in tomato sauce and next 9 ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 hours. Serve on hamburger buns.
- Cooktop Method: Proceed with recipe as directed in Step 1, returning drained beef mixture to Dutch oven. Stir in tomato sauce and next 8 ingredients, omitting flour. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Prep: 15 min., Cook: 45 min.
Note: To freeze leftover Sloppy Joe mixture, let cool completely. Place in zip-top plastic freezer bags; lay bags flat, and stack in freezer. Freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the fridge, or defrost in the microwave.