Smoked chicken and fruit salad2012-06-10
- Skill Level: Medium
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
With tender smoked chicken, mixed rice and refreshing melon and pineapple, this salad is as satisfying as it is delicious. It doesn’t have an oil-based dressing to pile on the calories – just freshly squeezed orange juice and the juices from the other fruits. This salad is best eaten on the day it is made.
- 340 g (12 oz) mixed long-grain rice and wild rice
- 300 g (10½ oz) skinned and boned smoked chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 250 g (9 oz) melon flesh, such as Galia, some scooped into balls and the rest cut into bite-sized pieces
- 250 g (9 oz) pineapple flesh, cut into bite-sized pieces
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 large orange
- salt and pepper
- To serve
- Cos lettuce leaves
- 4 tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon or parsley
- Put the long-grain and wild rice in a saucepan and add water to cover by a depth of 4 cm (1 1/2 in). Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until tender (or according to the packet instructions). Drain well in a colander and set aside to cool.
- Tip the cooled rice into a large bowl. Add the chicken, melon and pineapple, and fold together gently.
- Stir in the orange zest and 3 tbsp orange juice, adding more if liked. Season to taste.
- Line a serving bowl with the lettuce leaves. Spoon in the salad, sprinkle with the chopped herbs and serve, or cover and chill until required.