Sour Chicken and Sweet Vegetables2012-06-30
- Skill Level: Medium
Time required: 15 minutes
- 200 g boneless chicken, diced
- 1 egg yolk
- Salt and sugar as required
- 25 g corn flour
- Oil to fry
- 1 cup chicken stock (See below)
- 50 g tomato ketchup
- 10 ml lime cordial
- 10 ml Chinese wine vinegar or plain vinegar
- 20 g tomatoes, diced
- 20 g carrots, diced
- 20 g cucumber, diced
- 20 g pineapple slices, diced
- Sugar to taste
- Mix together the salt, sugar, egg yolk and corn flour and marinate the chicken pieces in it for 20 minutes. Heat some oil in a pan and deep-fry the marinated pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the chicken stock in a wok, add the tomato ketchup, and lime cordial, Chinese wine vinegar, a little sugar and a pinch of salt. Bring it to a boil, remove the scum and add the fried chicken pieces, tomatoes, carrots, cucumber and pineapple.
- You can thicken the broth with a little corn flour, if required. Toss well and serve hot.
What is Chicken Stock?
Heat a litre of water in a thick bottomed pan, and add half kg chicken bones, one carrot cut into rough dices, one chopped onion, one celery, chopped, one spring onion, chopped, a small piece of ginger, three to four cloves of garlic, one bay leaf and a few peppercorns. Allow to boil till the water quantity reduces to half. Cool and strain through a muslin cloth or a very fine sieve. Check the seasoning and the stock is ready for use.