Sweet Rice (Zarda)2013-02-24
“This is a traditional Pakistani sweet dish, which is must for every occasion. It is easy to make and consists of simple ingredients rather than rich and calorie rich ingredients. Try substituting ricotta for the cream and varying the dry fruit and nuts.”
- 4 cups uncooked white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon orange food color
- 10 pods whole cardamom
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- Place the rice in a bowl with water to cover and soak one hour.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil with food color and half the cardamom pods. Stir in the rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet over low heat, cook remaining cardamom pods in oil 2 minutes. Stir in cooked, drained rice, and sugar. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream, raisins, walnuts, almonds and orange zest. Serve warm.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe