Tamarind Chili Chicken2013-02-20
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 8 -10 medium green chilies, de-seeded and diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 5 tomatoes, chopped or 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tamarind pulp
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, dry-roasted and coarsely ground
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, chopped into pieces
Once the seeds start popping, remove the pan from the heat.
When the popping stops, return to the heat, reduce the heat and stir in the chilis and onion.
Fry for 8-10 minutes until the onions are soft.
Add the tomatoes and 1 cup water (if using canned tomatoes, drain juice into measuring cup and add additional water to equal 1 cup) and stir.
Stir in the tamarind and coriander seeds and season.
Add the chicken, mix well and cook over a medium heat for 8 minutes until cooked through.