Thai Beef Salad with Greens2012-08-11
A beautiful salad with greens
- 750g rump steak
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 1 large red onion or 2 large spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red chillies, sliced
- Juice of 1 large lime or ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- Mixed salad leaves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Crispy Noodles (see below)
- Season the steak with pepper and cook on hot ribbed grill or under a preheated grill for 5 minutes on each side or until done to taste. Remove; allow to stand 5-10 minutes.
- Cut into very thin slices and place in a bowl. Combine mint with onion slices, sliced chillies, lime or lemon juice, fish sauce and sugar. Stir well and add to beef slices, tossing.
- Toss with peanuts, salad greens, cherry tomatoes, and extra mint leaves and pile on top of Crispy Noodles.
CRISPY NOODLES: Take a small handful of rice vermicelli and heat some vegetable oil in a wok; test the heat with a few strands of vermicelli. It should swell to many times its size immediately if oil is hot enough. Fry the handful, scooping out with a wire strainer as soon as strands puff and turn pale golden. Drain on paper towels and cool.
MIXED SALAD LEAVES: each type of salad leaf has a unique – some pale, some bright, in various colours. Look for mixed mesclun, add beansprouts, or choose a few of your favourites. Wash salad as possible, dry, wrap in a kitchen towel and store in plastic bags in the fridge.