Ultimate Barbequed Ribs2012-12-18
For the Ribs:
- 2 slabs baby back ribs (about 3 pounds)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bacon slices, diced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 1/2 onion
- 3 smashed garlic cloves
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup peach preserves
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Put the ribs on a baking sheet, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and drizzle with olive oil. Place in the oven and let the ribs bake for 1 1/2 hours.
While the ribs are baking, make the sauce. Heat a 2-count of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon and render the bacon fat. Add the onion, garlic and thyme leaves cooking slowly for 5 minutes.
Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, stir and simmer. Cook slowly for 20 minutes to meld the flavors. Put some sauce in a separate bowl for basting, reserving the remaining sauce for serving.
Baste the ribs with the sauce and let them continue cooking, basting twice more, for 30 more minutes. When the ribs are cooked, take them out of the oven. Let them it and rest for a few minutes before serving.
When ready to eat, preheat the broiler for 5 minutes and broil the ribs, basting with the sauce. They should become crisp and charred, about 5 minutes on each side. Top with more sauce if desired and serve the ribs with additional sauce.