Get home the traditional gujarati vegetable recipe, undhiyu with this simpers and authentic oondhiyu recipe. The vegetable are cooked together with buttermilk, coconut and spice powders and enjoyed hot with rice.
100 gms surti papdi (fresh vaal) , stringed , whole (flat beans)
100 gms chopped raw bananas , unpeeled
100 gms yam (suran) cubes , peeled
100 gms small sized brinjals (baingan / eggplant) , slit green chillies
4 to 5 green chillies , crushed
1 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
1/2 tsp crushed garlic (lehsun)
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania) leaves
1 tsp whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
4 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
salt to taste
1/2 tbsp sugar
lemon juice to taste
For methi ghatta:
100 gms finely chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves
1/2 cup besan (bengal gram flour)
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp grated coconut
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Mix all ingredients, make stiff dough.
- Form into small oval, dumplings
- Heat the 4 tbsp. Oil,fry ghattas for 2 minutes.
- Remove from oil. Keep aside.
- Use a heavy large sauce pan.
- Form a paste of chilli, ginger, garlic, coriander,
- Rub the chunky veggies with oil and masala paste.
- Marinate for 30minutes.
- Heat oil used for frying ghattas to proceed.
- Add all the chunky vegetables, stir well.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add papdi, turmeric, flour, ajwain and salt.
- Cover and cook on low till the yam is almost done.
- Add coriander, lemon, and sprinkle some water if required.
- Add sugar, stir.
- Serve hot, either as is, or with parathas.